4 October 2012

Films I Haven't Seen

I haven't seen a lot of films.
Sometimes you almost don't need to see the film. If it's popular enough then clips and quotes and pop cultural references can do the work for you. 


Saturday Night Fever
John Travolta is a groovy guy walking confidently down the street to Staying Alive by the Bee Gees. Later he goes to a disco (with an obligatory disco ball) in a sharp white suit. There's a lady in a red dress. It is presumably a Saturday night.

As far as I can tell from popular media this is what America looked like in the 1970s, except that there were also cars, afros and drug dealers.


Jerry Maguire
Tom Cruise plays the title character, who wears a suit. He shouts down the phone and asks someone to show him the money, he is very excited about this. Renee Zellweger and Cuba Gooding Jr are also there.
I have yet to ascertain whether anyone does in fact show him any money.


Citizen Kane
There is a citizen, his name is Kane, and there is something about newspapers. He holds a big conference with speeches and banners, it's probably political. A man with a moustache whispers "rosebud" and a snow globe is dropped, it turns out this is the answer.
I don't know what the question is, but I sense it is not about gardening.


Deliverance
Banjo music: di-di dee dee dee dee dee dee deeee, di-di dee dee dee dee dee dee deeee.
Something unpleasant happens out in the back country. (That's almost certainly a euphemism.)

I don't actually have any images associated with this film, as far as I know.


Spartacus
The Romans want the massed slaves to identify Spartacus. In a touching show of solidarity they all stand up and say "I'm Spartacus!"
Brain Blessed is not actually there, despite what youtube would have me believe.
My (considerable) knowledge of Romans suggests that many of those slaves were killed.
My knowledge of film suggests that's not the narrative they went with.


Breakfast at Tiffanys
Audrey Hepburn likes Tiffanys, which is a big shop. She has a long black dress, a long black cigarette holder, a sparkly tiara and a large string of pearls. She has breakfast, presumably at Tiffanys. A man is no doubt involved somehow.
Decades later the band Deep Blue Something would record a song examining how kinda liking this film is not really a basis for continuing a relationship gone sour.

2 comments:

  1. "My knowledge of film suggests that's not the narrative they went with."

    IIRC the final shots are of the road to Rome, with thousands of crucified slaves either side leading into the horizon...

    I might be wrong, long time since I watched it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well all I've seen of it is "I'm Spartacus!"*
      I guess I'd assumed the show of solidarity won the day on the basis that people keep repeating it as though it were a successful tactic. No one ever mentions the crucifixion bit, I guess that scene wasn't as memorable. Or maybe if people are going to reference a crucifixion scene they go for Holy Grail as it's probably funnier. :)


      *And so's my wife!

      Delete